Ok, I admit it – I am freak of nature. I’ve always been obsessed with things that I don’t think normal people even ever think about. For instance, I like watching documentaries on cults because the whole idea of someone being able to control a large group of people like that amazes me. Not that I would ever join a cult, or be a cult leader, but I’m just fascinated by it. Also, another example, I got hooked on Sisters Wives – the series about the Polygamist family. Lance was like “Do you want to live that that? Is that why you watch this?” No, Lance, you can’t have another wife.
So, on this same note, I am completely mesmerized, fascinated, obsessed, whatever you want to call it with the Gypsies that live in North Augusta. Let me back up for a minute.
When Lance and I first started looking into moving to Augusta, Lance told me about these so-called Gypsies. He told me all these stories about how the men go off to other cities and rip people off, about how the women walk around in sweat suits with pearls and tons and tons of makeup and hairspray for their teased hair, driving their expensive cars, and their children who look like pageant contestants 24/7. He also told me about their neighborhood where they live where they build these huge houses and put trailers in the back to live in while the demons are leaving their brand new home.
Of course, I didn’t believe Lance.
Until….
We were at Five Guys Burgers and Fries. In comes a whole crowd of women who fit the above description. My jaw dropped and all I could do was stare.
Lance was telling the truth!
To take it a step further, I decided that I wanted to see their neighborhood. We took the 15 minute trip up I-20 to North Augusta, and pulled into their neighborhood. EVERY mansion had a trailer behind it. All the house had large statues of Mary and very gaudy window treatments. It was absolutely stunning to see this.
I later told my coworkers that I drove through their neighborhood, and they told me to never do that again because I would be shot. Regardless of their warning, I’ve driven back through the neighborhood on several other occasions…it’s the thrill man!!!!!!!
Since the first glimpse of the Gypsies, I have learned a lot more about them through word of mouth and my own firsthand experience:
• They “keep it in the family” so unfortunately some of the offspring that you see have deformities and/or are mentally handicapped
• They love Red Lobster, Hobby Lobby, the mall, especially Macy’s, the movies, & sushi. In fact, we go to Miyabi’s every Friday night for Sushi and to get my Gypsy fix. Essentially, the Gypsies are every where that I seem to go when I am out and about. It was meant to be.
• They are not good tippers and of course they always pay with cash.
• They speak their own language, which from what I can tell is just a fast version of English.
• The men are rarely ever with the women. I guess they are too busy scamming people.
• The children seem to be happy, despite the fact that they must be miserable under all the makeup and hairspray. One evening I was at the movies waiting on Lance who standing in line for drinks & popcorn, and 10+ Gypsy children ran out the side door. Apparently they were having a birthday. Every single one of them looked like this except for most are blonde:
I have been politically incorrect thus far. The Gypsies are really known as the “Irish Travelers” and they refer to us as the “Country Folk”. You can’t really find out anything concrete about them on the internet, and you for sure can’t find any pictures of the women. I do however have this one picture of the back of a Gypsy’s head taken at Miyabi’s.
Lance is so good to me – he’s considerate of my fascination with them and always lets me sit so I can stare at them. What a good man.
I want to be brave enough to talk to one or at least get a snapshot of one for my own memories. If I ever do get a chance to do these things, I just might write a book.
Gypsies!!!!

OK, I thought the gypsies were poor and lived in run down houses, not mansions. Because they were like traveling around or something, but not in nice cars. Not what I was picturing really. I was picturing people with dirty ill-fitting clothes and dirty children.
ReplyDeleteI need a picture of a real one.
This kept me laughing the whole time I was reading it. By the way Callie...I get completely obsessed with weird things also...it must be a Gordon girl thing.
ReplyDeletei am a gypsy and my grandmother is from the Village is what we call it and sc wanna know everything about us huh why>>
ReplyDeleteand Kathryn that is a real pic of a real Gypsie as u put it
ReplyDeleteI admit. I share your fascination with cult-ish things, which is how I came across your blog. I, unfortunately, come into contact with them frequently because of my job and wanted to know more about them. I have traveled fairly extensively, and I have never seen or heard anything like these people. They are right up there with the compound mormons--you know, the ones that also marry off their CHILDREN to men, who don't believe in education, etc??
ReplyDeleteI've lived in Augusta for 18 years and am still at a loss when describing the "gypsies" to people who've never experienced it. No one ever believes the description! It must be seen first-hand.
ReplyDeleteI aslo live in Augusta. They do exsist, and their lifestyle is different than ours. They are different than us in a lot of ways. They have their own language, beliefs, morals, and traditions. Like for instance, the girls are pulled out of school at a very young age, which you can tell if you talk to one, and are "prettied" up and pranced across a stage to be auctioned off to be a wife of some father's son in their community. They pay people to impregnate their daughters to bring "new blood" into their community to prevent deformed babies.. Which i have seen also, but they are rarely seen in public. It's very interesting if you learn who they are and what they're about.
ReplyDeleteYes, they are indeed a strange group. I have first hand experience with them because, like me, they are Catholic and they go to my church. They always leave early before the last hymn.
ReplyDeleteI can tell you a little about their fascinations:
- They LOVE Abercrombie. From what I've seen.
- Their favorite car make is Lexus
- They are very standoffish
- The men don't usually go to church, if they do, they hang out in the back and leave early.
Altogether, in my opinion, they remind me of barbies.
It's funny to set back and listen to you all judge what you don't understand. I, personally being a traveller (yes, im true) find it hard to explain our mentality's. But I can tell you that you have a major missconception of us and our way of life although I can't lie about the sushi. Think of it like this...what if our way is the right way and you are wrong. What if we act a little strange, we are human just like you. We don't like to be critizied or ridiculed so please be nice.
ReplyDeleteActually there is quite a bit online, in books, and in academic journals regarding the Irish Traveller culture. There are many pictures that were taken by photographers taht built a trusting relationship with the travellers. Yes its a culture on its own, but what culture isn't? Don't be so quick to stereotype. From what I have learned and what I am learning is travellers are very to themselves and are very private. Whether if they are here in the US or in Europe, traditions remain the same over time. Good luck with your "obsession" but please find compassion and understanding to people who are not of the societal "norm". Just remember.. WE are considered strange to other groups also.. we wouldn't want people to put lables on us.
ReplyDelete